Sidebar Menu

Career prospectsCoursesStaffPre-enrollmentAdmission timelineAdmission methodologyApplication documentsEntrance examinationAdmission citeriaStudent feesStudent servicesStudying at Valahia UniversityThe city of TargovisteRomaniaUseful informationGuide for foreign students

Wise Words

 The most important thing that schools can do is to make people aware that understanding the world is very much part of the requirement of being an educated person. There should be some shame attached to not being more aware of the world, not having some mastery of foreign language.

Fareed Zakaria, Editor, Newsweek

Targoviste, the cultural capital of Walahia

Targoviste has a special place in the history of the Romanians, on account of the three centuries during which it was princely residence, capital of Wallachia, and the main economic, political, military, cultural and religious centre of the area.
Medieval Targoviste evolved from a rural establishment, attested in documents beginning with the 7th and 9th centuries. The process of urban development was accelerated by the presence of a permanent market place, then by the establishment of a princely court in the late 14th century during the reign of Mircea the Old. Along with Curtea de Arges, Targoviste became the capital of Wallachia from 1394 to 1396, and then from 1417 to 1418; between 1418 and 1465, Targoviste was the only capital of the country. After the year 1465, both Targoviste and Bucharest shared this role. As a matter of fact, in 1396, Johan Schiltberger had seen two important towns in Wallachia, both sharing the role of capitals: Arges (Curtea de Arges) and Targoviste; this was in fact the first attestation of the capital town.
Starting from the 14th century, the most important political and military events of the Romanian medieval history occurred at Targoviste. Being situated on an important international trading route (the Road of Bran and Braila), Targoviste had permanent contact with foreign products, which gave the possibility to some traders and manufacturers, as well as to a small fraction of the foreign populations (Germans) to settle down here. In the privilege licensed to Lwow (nowadays: Lviv, Ukraine) traders in 1403, and renewed in 1409, as well as in those licensed to Brasov traders by Mircea the Old, Targoviste was granted the role of unique customs point in the area. During the reign of Matei Basarab - the founder of the old Metropolitan Church, one of the biggest and the most important construction of the time - in 1517, the Metropolitan residence moved to Targoviste.
Between the 15th and 17th centuries, Targoviste was the main cultural, economic, political and administrative centre of Wallachia. Capital and princely court, the town of Targoviste was also an important cultural centre in Wallachia, but most important of all, it was the first printing centre in the country. Prince Radu the Handsome founded the first printing house at Dealu monastery. Here, under the direct guidance of the monk Macarie, the first three books in Slavonic were printed: Liturghier (Missal) in 1508, Octoih (Book of Religious Hymns) in 1510 and Evangheliar (Evangel) in 1512. These first initiatives were then continued in time by the deacon Coresi, who printed in Targoviste, in 1558, the work named Triodul-Penticostar slavonesc (Slavonic Tryodion-Penticostarion/ Liturgical Book), a real masterpiece of the printing art of the times.
During the mid-17th century, during the reign of Matei Basarab, Targoviste had a vivid cultural activity, animated by the Greek cleric Matei al Mirelor (Mireul) and the chronicler-treasurer Stavrinos. At this time, the community of the scholars, educated in the classical spirit, had a great contribution to the establishment of a higher education institution, where the students were taught Greek and Latin. These scholars also contributed to the setting up of a new printing house, where works were printed in Romanian. In his turn, the scholar Udriste Nasturel carried out an intense activity at the cultural centre in Targoviste and supported the idea of printing books in Slavonic and distributing them to the Orthodox Balkan states.
The new college, Schola graeca et latina (1646-1652) was organized according to the model of similar institutions in the West. The college existed together with scoala de slovenie, a school where the teaching staff was made up of teachers specialized in Slavonic and Romanian grammar and lexicology. In its turn, the new printing house, based in the Metropolitan cathedral, printed not only the first works in Romanian or in both Slavonic and Romanian, but also the famous work Indreptare a legii, one of the first legal codes in Europe, printed in a national language.
During the reign of Constantin Brancoveanu, a new printing house was installed at the Metropolitan church; here, a very intense activity was carried out between 1709 and 1715 and many works were printed both in Romanian and in Slavonic. The main animator of this laborious enterprise was the metropolitan bishop of Hungary-Walachia, Anthim the Iberian (Antim Ivireanul) himself, a famous politician, writer and man of letters. The books printed at Targoviste during the first decades of the 18th century are real graphic masterpieces, where the title pages, the letters and the vignettes ornamented with vegetal motifs are, from a stylistic viewpoint, related to the sculptured stone frames or to the wooden iconostases specific to the ecclesiastic architecture of the time.
The citizens of Targoviste marked the beginning of the modern age through a violent uprising (1819-1820), led by Tudor Vladimirescu, which was considered the prologue of the revolution of 1848. Starting with the revolution of 1848, some representatives of our modern history linked their names with the historical events of this county. It is worth mentioning the names of Ion Heliade Radulescu – member of the temporary revolutionary government, of the Locotenenta Domneasca and the author of Proclama?ia de la Islazi (Proclamation from Islaz), Ion Ghica – founder of the secret organization Fra?ia (The Brotherhood) together with Nicolae Balcescu.
A real documentary treasure, consisting in documents and objects that bring back parts of the town history is now in the good care of the National Museum Complex - Princely Court. Among the monuments that have witnessed the rich history of the town, we should mention the Aulic Complex of the Princely Court- the largest in the country-, Dealu Monastery and Stelea Monastery. A town of churches - over 47 churches, most of which date back to the Middle Ages -, Targoviste is guarded by the Chindia Tower, built by Vlad Tepes. Targoviste takes advantage of an original combination of medieval and modern architectural elements. The contribution of the town’s most important representatives - princes, nobility, high clergy, and rich merchants - and of the best manufacturers of the time finds its reflection in the edifices dating from the 14th and 18th centuries
Rejuvenated by the new and modern buildings, the medieval town of Targoviste is the only witness of a long cultural tradition, which has been brought back to life by the new University.

Image Gallery

          

          

 

News

January 27, 2015

The Department for Studies in Foreign Languages has opened the pre-enrollment platform at http://www.studymasteruvt.com .

Any potential candidate interested in our programmes and courses in foreign languages can apply for pre-enrollment on this platform in order to benefit from answers, personalized advices, and professional guidance from staff and professors in the field chosen for pre-enrollment. Therefore, if you are a graduate or you are going to graduate this year and you are interested in finding out if the educational experience we can offer answers your expectations you can save time and energy to reach the right answers by registering on the platform. We are here for you!

About

The Departament for Studies in Foreign Languages of Valahia University of Targoviste has been set up in 2012 with the aim of managing the study programmes in foreign languages and founding new ones aimed at answering the interest of our prospective students and the needs of the society in Romania and in Europe.The study programmes in foreign languages help our students affiming their career aspirations and the skills and competences they acquire boost their chances to successfully compete for jobs on the European common market Learn more...